NBL1 South Men’s: Round 2 wrap – Miners split results on Apple Isle

ROUND 2 of the National Basketball League (NBL)1 South men’s competition took place over the weekend, with Frankston Blues grabbing back-to-back wins and Ballarat Miners having a mixed bag down in Tasmania.

Bendigo Braves (73) def. by Frankston Blues (94)

Frankston Blues have set up a memorable 21-point win thanks to a fast start on the road against Bendigo Braves. The Blues piled on 54 points to 31 in the opening two quarters to lead by 23 at half-time. The Braves were much better after half-time and even won the final term, but the damage was done, going down 94-73. Lachlan Barker racked up 26 points with seven long-range makes, while Alister MacDonald had the four triples on his way to 14 points, three rebounds and two assists. Dillon Stith (15 points, eight rebounds, two assists and three steals) was influential across the court, while David Andersen (14 points, seven rebounds) used his experience to advantage. Ray Turner was the pick of the Braves, recording 13 points, nine rebounds and two steals, while Brennan Rymer (11 points, six assists and four steals) and Javaan Mumtaz (10 points, three assists) were solid.

Hobart Chargers (81) def. Ballarat Miners (77)

Hobart Chargers have held on in a thrilling contest to defeat Ballarat Miners by four points last Friday night. The Chargers got away to a five-point lead at quarter time which was cut to three by the main break. The home team put it back out to five points at the last change, with the Miners only able to claw back one point in the final term. Koen Sapwell (26 points, three rebounds) and Jonathan Mines (25 points, three rebounds and two blocks), went haywire from long-range, making 11 of 18 from beyond the arc. Jack Stanwix (11 points, five assists and three steals) and Jacob Richards (10 points, seven rebounds and three assists) were the other key scorers for the Chargers. William Hickey knocked down 23 points, six rebounds, six assists and two steals in the loss, while Deng Acuoth picked up 15 points and 10 rebounds in a double-double effort. William Hynes (11 points, four rebounds) and Daniel Joyce (11 points, five rebounds and four assists) were the others to contribute strongly across multiple facets of the game.

North West Tasmania (71) def. by Ballarat Miners (74)

Immediately bouncing back from their Friday night loss, the Miners were forced into another close one with a Tasmanian opponent, this time coming away with an overtime. The teams were locked at 67 points apiece after four quarters following a late Thunder fightback, but the Miners stepped up in overtime, with a Matt Kenyon jumper with five seconds on the clock winning his side the match. Kenyon was the standout player on the court, racking up 27 points, nine rebounds and four assists, while Jock Perry (15 points, seven rebounds) and Acuoth (12 points, nine rebounds) were also lively at both ends. For the Thunder, Paul Campbell top-scored with 18 points, nine rebounds and two assists, while Sejr Deans (13 points, three rebounds and two assists) and Taran Armstrong (nine points, 10 rebounds, three assists and three steals) were steadfast in defeat.

Frankston Blues (110) def. Dandenong Rangers (76)

Making it back-to-back wins in Round 2, Frankston Blues easily took care of Dandenong Ranges. The Blues stormed to a 65-38 lead at half-time, and by the final break held a 38-point advantage. Dandenong won the last term to cut the final margin to 34 points, but the damage was well and truly done by that stage. Andersen picked up 24 points, four rebounds and three assists, while Stith managed the 20 points, 13 rebounds, three assists and two blocks. Barker also feasted on points with 23 in total, as well as five assists, two rebounds and two steals, with Thomas Garrett the other Blues player to reach double-figure points thanks to his 14 and four rebounds. For the Rangers, Declan Soukup had 19 points – five of six from long-range – and four assists, while Sean Macdonald (13 points, four rebounds and two assists) and Oliver Hayes-Brown (12 points, 13 rebounds) both impacted the match.

Knox Raiders (72) def. Kilsyth Cobras (63)

Knox Raiders were able to power away from Kilsyth Cobras in the final term to record a memorable nine-point victory in front of home fans. The Raiders trailed by a point at the last change, but then got to work with a strong defensive effort of 19-9 in the last quarter to run out 72-63 winners. Dylan Hare top-scored with 16 points, six rebounds and two assists, while Abraham Nyok (14 points, seven rebounds), Bul Kuol (13 points, three rebounds and two steals) and Ben Ayre (10 points, two rebounds and two assists) all picked up double-figure points in the win. A double-double from Timothy Lang (16 points, 12 rebounds) was the highlight for the Cobras, while Adrian Tomada (14 points, seven rebounds, four assists and three steals), Ben Ursich (13 points, six rebounds) and Deng Riak (10 points, eight rebounds) were the other quality players on the night.

Sandringham Sabres (90) def. by Mt Gambier Pioneers (122)

South Australia’s first win in the NBL1 South competition came when Mt Gambier Pioneers took out Sandringham Sabres by 32 points on Saturday night. The Pioneers piled on 64 points to 45 in the opening half to all but set up the win, though they went on with it too, winning the third term by 13 points, and securing the 122-90 victory. Duom Dawam (32 points, 16 rebounds and three assists) was unstoppable across the court, while Thomas Daly (25 points, five assists and four rebounds), Tom Kubank (19 points, five rebounds and three steals) and Nick Marshall (10 points, five rebounds and two assists) were others who stepped up in the victory. For the Sabres, Kuany Kuany was the standout shooter with a double-double of 28 points and 10 rebounds, as well as two assists and two steals. Tom O’Brien (15 points, three assists and two rebounds), Nicholas Gabsch (12 points, six rebounds) and Brody Nunn (14 points, two rebounds and two steals) were the other Sabres who impressed despite the heavy loss.

Eltham Wildcats (76) def. by Diamond Valley Eagles (79)

Diamond Valley Eagles picked up their second consecutive win with a tight three-point victory over Eltham Wildcats. The Eagles trailed by three points at quarter time and five points at the main break, before hitting the front with a 17-11 third term, and then holding on with a 19-17 final quarter for the 79-76 triumph. Darcy Harding was the top scorer with 23 points, nine rebounds and three assists, well supported by Blacio Owili (16 points, seven rebounds) and Ngor Manyang (15 points, four rebounds, three blocks and two assists). Matt Reynolds only had the five points, but picked up 11 assists in a creative effort. The Wildcats had a few contributors as well, with Justin Aver (20 points, two rebounds and two steals) leading the scoring, but Ovie Magbegor picking up the double-double of 11 points and 13 rebounds. Adam Doyle (13 points, seven assists and two rebounds) was also an impressive performer despite the loss.

Albury-Wodonga Bandits (102) def. by Melbourne Tigers (107)

A telling final term set up Melbourne Tigers for a high-scoring five-point win over Albury-Wodonga Bandits on the road. Both teams offences were ticking on the night, and despite the Bandits leading by two points at the final break, the Tigers finished the match stronger, adding 28 points to 21 to win, 107-102. Felix von Hofe had a night out with 33 points, four rebounds and two assists, but he was far from alone, with Anthony Karabatsos (15 points, seven assists and four rebounds), Dogukan Elyazar (14 points, four rebounds) and Keenan Willie (nine points, nine assists, six rebounds and two steals) among the outstanding performers for the Tigers. Mitchell Dance picked up 28 points and nine rebounds in the loss, while Bijan Johnson (21 points, nine assists, five rebounds and three steals), Sharif Watson (16 points, nine rebounds and two steals) and Jack Saunders (15 points, six rebounds and two assists) were all strong.

Ringwood Hawks (81) def. by Geelong Supercats (85)

Geelong Supercats have posted a nail-biting four-point win over Ringwood Hawks thanks to a dominant third quarter. Despite not winning any of the other three terms, and trailing by nine points at the half, the Supercats piled on 29 points to 12 in the third quarter, setting them up for an 85-81 win. Isaac Turner was huge from beyond the arc with five of 11, on his way to 35 points, three rebounds and two assists. Mawut Macar Deng (15 points, six rebounds), Liam McInerney (11 points, 10 rebounds and four assists) and Jack Macdonald (14 points – four of eight from long-range – four assists and two steals) were also impressive. The Hawks were led by the damaging duo of Adrien Sturt (23 points, 12 rebounds and two steals) and CJ Asuncion-Byrd (27 points, four rebounds and three assists), while Jack Barry (11 points, seven rebounds) and Shaun Clarke (11 points, four rebounds) were also solid on the day.

Nunawading Spectres (96) def. Sandringham Sabres (61)

A strong start from the home team helped propel Nunawading Spectres to victory over Sandringham Sabres, handing the visitors their second loss of the weekend. The Spectres poured on 31 points to 14 in the opening quarter, then did it again in the third with 31 points to 10, which created the separation required for the 96-61 thumping. Tom Wright led the way with 29 points, five assists, two rebounds and two steals, while Simon Conn came close to a double-double with 13 points, nine rebounds and four assists. Costa Hronopoulos (13 points, seven rebounds and two assists) and Jack Gandolfo (12 points, five assists, two rebounds and two steals) were others who stepped up to help the cause. Kuany was again a lone-hand in terms of scoring, racking up a ridiculous 24 points and 17 rebounds, as well as four assists. Clancy Bird (10 points) was the only other scorer of note, as the Sabres were smashed across most facets of the game.

Waverley Falcons (79) def. Diamond Valley Eagles (72)

Waverley Falcons ended the run of the Diamond Valley Eagles at two, by saluting in a seven-point game. The Falcons led by 10 points at quarter time, but then found themselves trailing by a point at the main break. The second half swung back in the home team’s favour, winning both quarters by four points to get up, 79-72. Bennie Lewis put up 27 points, five rebounds, three assists and two steals, while Jake Heath (18 points, three rebounds, two assists and two steals), Michael Harper (13 points, five rebounds and three assists) and Durrell McDonald (11 points, four rebounds, four assists and four steals) also had impressive efforts. For the Eagles, Owili managed the 23 points and 11 rebounds in a standalone effort, while Manyang picked up 11 points and five rebounds in the loss.

Picture credit: Rodney Turton

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments