Cream rises to top in final M-League round

IN a warm up for the Men’s Premier finals, the Netblacks have put on a show, defeating the Altona Falcons 70 goals to 55.

The Netblacks looked every bit the finals contender as a dominant second and third term ensured they came out victorious.

Getting off to the absolute perfect start, the victors raced out to a four-goal lead before Altona even got their first on the board.

This was largely thanks to the defensive work of Asalele Alefaio, and the athletic reach and shooting prowess of Junior Levi.

It proved to be a handy buffer as it ensured the Netblacks remained in front throughout the quarter.

The Falcons came right back though in the last few minutes of the period, and by the time the quarter time buzzer went, the margin was back down to a single goal.

The gap remained tight in the front half of the second quarter, but as the quarter progressed the Netblacks gained the ascendency.

Not even an unfortunate injury to Brandon D’Monte could derail them as the Netblacks really started to put the foot down.

As much as the like of Brodie Roberts and Sam Dugan tried to keep the Falcons in the match, it was at times in vain at the Netblacks really started to pull away with the match.

The margin got out to double figures towards the end of the term, but as the halftime buzzer went, the margin was now out to nine in favour of the Netblacks.

Things went from bad to worse for the Falcons in the third term. By the time the teams turned for home, the margin had blown out to 17 goals.

The third quarter proved to be the final curtain for the Falcons, as they just could not eat enough into the deficit.


Ladder leaders City Heat also had a good tune up for the finals with a comfortable win over the Ariels.

The Ariels led at quarter time, but the Heat turned things around in the second term to blow open the game and never look back.

Alastair Punshon starred in defence for the Heat, as did Josh Byron up the other end.

Meanwhile for the Ariels, Lachie Askew was a shining light in a tough way to end the his side’s season.

In a continuation of the top sides doing it easy to end the regular season, St Therese picked up a comfortable win over Boroondara.

After things were dead even through the first and second quarters, St Therese blew open proceedings in the third term and never looked back.

Tim Walker starred in attack for St Therese, as did Jayden Cowling through the midcourt, while Terron King tried his best in defence for the Thunder to keep them in the match.

M-League Mens Round 13 Results

Netblacks (70) defeated Altona Falcons (55)
St Therese (64) defeated Boroondara Thunder (42)
City Heat (58) defeated Ariels (44)

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments