Pulse overcome the Magic

IN the final meeting of the season between the sides this season, the Central Pulse were too strong for the Waikato Bay of Plenty Magic, wining 52–39 in a low scoring affair.

It was very defensive in the opening three minutes, with both sides unable to convert their chances into scores on the board. It took more than three minutes before the Central Pulse finally put a goal on the board through Aliyah Dunn. It took less than a minute for the Pulse to get their second and third on the board, and things were flowing nicely for the visitors.

It took five minutes for the Magic to finally get their first on the board, but that slow start meant they were playing catch up the entire quarter. At quarter time the margin sat at three goals in favour of the Pulse.

The low quarter time score was indicative of how high the defensive pressure was from both sides, and both team’s goal shooters did the vast majority of the shooting heavy lifting in the opening term (7/9 for Magic’s Ivana Rowland and 8/12 for the Pulse’s Dunn).

The Pulse continued their dominance in the opening part of the second term, shooting five unanswered goals to start the term. But then they stopped as the Magic got on a bit of a roll then shot three in a row of their own.

Both sides made a number of positional changes throughout the term, but it was the Pulse who remained on top on the scoreboard throughout the term. At half time the Pulse had doubled their quarter time lead. Dunn had another great quarter for the Pulse, shooting 10/10 and vastly outshooting anyone else on the court.

Whitney Souness was among the hardest workers out on court that term for the Pulse, registering nine feeds and six goal assists in the second term alone. Her opposite wing attack Hayley Saunders was working just as hard for the Magic, picking up a goal assist, four centre pass receives and five feeds for the term.

Defensive pressure was high from both sides as the third quarter began, but as the quarter dragged on the Pulse remained on top and continued to extend their lead. As the teams turned for home the margin was 11 goals in favour of the Pulse.

Although the lead grew evermore out of reach, the Magic certainly never gave up and kept working had right throughout the final quarter.

Despite the Magic’s best efforts, the Pulse just kept growing their lead and by the final siren it had stretched out to 13 goals.

Unsurprisingly it was the Pulse’s Kelly Jury who took Player of the Match honours. She was a star in defence for the Pulse, finishing with an intercept, two general play turnovers and plenty of deflections.

Meanwhile for the Magic, Brooke Leaver was particularly accurate in front of goal after she came on. Although she did not shoot many, she had no misses for the game.

Both sides are at home next round. The Magic face the Steel on Saturday, while the Pulse are hosting the Tactix on Sunday.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments