Jamaica thwarts Roses comeback to force decider

JAMAICA has survived an almighty English Roses’ comeback to win the second match of their three-match series 61-58, and force the series into a decider tomorrow.

The English started well but then the Jamaicans got on top and although England threw everything at it in the last quarter it ultimately was not enough as the Sunshine Girls got the win. It was fast and fierce from the get-go, as neither side were going to make it easy for their opposition.

There was no replay of the four-nil start from Manchester as both sides went goal for goal. Neither side could keep more than a one goal lead for much of the first half of the quarter, but then as the quarter progressed into its second half, England solidified a two-goal lead.

However, England’s pressure rose and the Jamaicans could not counter that, as their passing dropped and England’s lead rose to as much as four. Olivia Tchine was certainly making the most of her opportunity to start on court as she and Helen Housby worked well together to make sure Jamaica could not get back to level things up. Chelsea Pitman and Layla Guscoth were also intercepting further up the court really well, as the English went into quarter time with a six-goal lead.

Jamaica had a much better start to the second quarter than the English, and slowly but surely after a six to two start saw them chip away at the lead. They were able to get more defensive turnovers than they did in the first, and after six minutes they took the lead. However it did not last long as the English levelled things up soon after.

Both sides made silly errors in the fierce tussle, but crucially it was the Jamaicans who held the lead by as much as three goals. England then pulled it back, but the Roses were not long level before Jamaica retook the lead. That was to be the last lead change of the quarter as the Jamaicans went into the main break with a four-goal lead.

The likes of Kadie-Ann Dehaney, Shanice Beckford, Nicole Dixon-Rochester and Jhaniele Fowler all starred in the second quarter as the Jamaicans had a massive turnaround in the second quarter and got themselves very much back in the match.

England made a number of changes at half-time but it did not make a difference as the Jamaicans maintained their half-time lead and even extended it. The Jamaican lead got out to as much as 10 goals midway through the quarter as the Sunshine Girls dominated play.

England was able to eat away at the lead a little, but ultimately the Jamaicans put a halt to the English resurgence and restored their 10-goal lead. The Jamaican lead at the final change was ultimately eight goals, but the Sunshine Girls were in a strong position to level up the series going into the last.

It was England who got off to the much better start in the final quarter, and all of a sudden the margin was five goals and the crowd could sense something big was coming. The margin was only four halfway through the quarter, and there was a sense that the match really could go either way. England kept pushing and pushing, and really put themselves in a strong position to take the win. Jamaica though was able to put a stop to any English revival and hold on for the win.

Jamaica 12 | 19 | 17 | 13 (61)
England 18 | 8 | 15 | 16 (57)



GS: Olivia Tchine
GA: Helen Housby
WA: Chelsea Pitman
C: Imogen Allison
WD: Layla Guscoth
GD: Funmi Fadoju
GK: Alice Harvey


GS: Jhaniele Fowler
GA: Shanice Beckford
WA: Khadijah Williams
C: Nicole Dixon-Rochester
WD: Crystal Plummer
GD: Jodi-Ann Ward
GK: Kadie-Ann Dehaney

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments