Weekend Wash-up: TAC Cup – Round 3

IT was a huge weekend of football with the country sides clashing at Bendigo and the metro teams searching to either continue or find form in the third round of the TAC Cup competition. We recap all the matches in our Weekend Wash-up.

Western Jets 7.15 (57) defeated Eastern Ranges 3.7 (25)

Windy conditions played havoc at Williamstown Football Ground, with the Western Jets running out 32-point winners over the Eastern Ranges. With only two goals a-piece to three quarter-time, the four points were up for grabs – but the Jets put the foot down to storm home with a five-goal-to-one last quarter.

Jets midfielder Connor Thar (29 disposals, four clearances) and Zak Butters (27 disposals, eight clearances and eight inside 50s) were dominant right throughout the contest, winning the contested ball and getting inside 50 for the forwards to hit the scoreboard. Xavier O’Halloran worked hard strongly after half time, to finish the game with 20 disposals and six clearances. Stefan Radovanovic (19 disposals, five inside 50s and four rebound 50s) worked hard up and down the ground and was another player in the Jets best. Tall forward Aaron Clarke have four shots on goal, while Steven Kyriazis was a dangerous utility for the team when pushing forward.

In what was a disappointing day for the Ranges, Xavier Fry (27 disposals, 13 rebound 50s) found plenty of the ball, kicking long from deep in defence after the Jets kicked an abundance of behinds. Adrian Kalcovski (24 disposals) and Kye Quirk (23 disposals, eight rebound 50s, five inside 50s) were two other of the better players for the Ranges. With the Jets peppering the goals, defender Jarrod Gilbee was a player who showed some strong efforts.


Bendigo Pioneers 8.5 (53) defeated by Gippsland Power 17.14 (116)

A seven goals to two second term has helped Gippsland Power to a dominant 63-point victory over Bendigo Pioneers. Both sides could not be split at quarter time, but a one-sided second term and rush of goals saw the Power head into the main break with a 34-point lead. Bendigo managed to restrict the Power in the third term to cut the deficit to 31 by the final break, but it was all the Power once again in the final term, booting six goals to one, running away with the huge win.

Sam Flanders led the way with four goals and could have been more had he had his kicking boots on, in a show that included two behinds and three out on the fulls from shots at goal. Along with Flanders, Riley Baldi and Caleb Serong found plenty of the footy and booted two goals each, as did Mason McGannon. Matthew McGannon had a game-high 29 disposals off half-back, while Baldi was dominant at stoppages, registering 10 clearances, just ahead of overager Austin Hodge‘s seven.

For the Pioneers, Bailey Henderson was impressive at half-back and through the midfield, collecting 23 disposals, four marks and four clearances, while teammate Zane Keighran registered the most touches of any Bendigo player, with 25. Liam Marciano (16 disposals and four inside 50s), Bailey Kemp (15 disposals and a goal) and Noah Wheeler (11 disposals and two goals) were others who influenced the contest forward of centre.


Dandenong Stingrays 20.13 (133) defeated Greater Western Victoria Rebels 5.5 (35)

In a very one-sided contest, Dandenong Stingrays were simply too good for Greater Western Victoria (GWV) Rebels. In reflecting on the match, the Rebels socials summed it up best by saying “it just wasn’t our day”, as the strong Stingrays ran out one of the most impressive four quarter performances in some time. They had booted 12 goals to half-time and never let up, passing the 100-point margin late in the final quarter before the last goal of the day to the Rebels put the final deficit within double figures.

Jamie Plumridge had a game-high 29 disposals for the Stingrays, while it was the first half of Mitch Riordan (18 disposals, four marks, six clearances, six inside 50s) and Zac Foot (17 disposals and four goals) who did most of the damage. The Stingrays won the clearances 47-24 and inside 50s 69-17 and it was hard to fault anything they did all day. Campbell Hustwaite had four inside 50s and six clearances to go with his 25 disposals, while Jai Taylor had five clearances and five inside 50s with 21 disposals. Bottom-age talent Hayden Young booted two goals drifting forward and collected 17 disposals and four marks.

For the Rebels, Lochie Dawson had 26 disposals and four marks along with eight clearances and five rebounds in a top effort. He was ably assisted by Scott Carlin (23 disposals, four marks, six rebounds) and Matt Schnerring (21 disposals and six tackles). The Rebels mosquito fleet of mid/forwards in Charlie Wilson, Jed Hill and Josh Chatfield all showed signs at different points during the match, but the overwhelming pressure by Dandenong meant life was difficult for the GWV forwards.


Murray Bushrangers 10.17 (77) defeated Geelong Falcons 8.13 (61)

In what was a contested affair for most of the day, Murray Bushrangers got up against Geelong Falcons in what turned out to be a thrilling last quarter. The game opened up after the final break and there was plenty of end-to-end football and scores flowing through. Nine of the 18 goals for the game came in the last term, with Murray marginally ahead with a five goals to four term, after the Bushrangers led by 10 points at the final break. The Falcons lead at quarter time and half-time, but the Bushrangers’ second half got them home.

Laitham Vandermeer was solid throughout, notching up 24 disposals, eight marks, four rebounds and three inside 50s to cover the ground well, while Lachlan Ash was strong in defence with 21 disposals and seven marks. Nicholas Murray had 20 disposals and 10 marks in defence, while Kyle Clarke was busy around the football with 18 disposals, five marks, four clearances and six tackles. Bailey Frauenfelder peppered the goals, finishing with 3.4 from 13 disposals, three marks and three clearances.

For the Falcons, Baxter Mensch had the most touches with 23, to go with four marks, four clearances and five inside 50s, while Oscar Brownless had a big second half to finish with 21 disposals, six tackles, five clearances, five inside 50s and four rebounds. Brayden Ham was everywhere on the day and the bet for his side, with 20 disposals and 10 marks, as well as six inside 50s and three goals. Bailey Scott (16 disposals, seven marks, two goals) and Cooper Stephens (15 disposals) were also impressive for the Falcons.


Sandringham Dragons 14.16 (100) defeated Calder Cannons 11.11 (77)

The Sandringham Dragons continued their undefeated start to the season, defeating the Calder Cannons by 23-points in breezy conditions at Trevor Barker Beach Oval. The Cannons managed to hit the lead in the final quarter, thanks to Mitch Podhajski’s second goal for the afternoon, but the Dragons breathed fire and booted the next five goals to ensure they would take home the four points.

Dragons captain James Rendell played his best game for the season, booting four second-half goals, including two to start the third term. Fellow tall forward Will Kennedy booted three goals, from his 20 disposals. The tall Dragons outfit were buoyed by the return of overaged ruckman Ethan Casey (24 hitouts), who suffered a terrible ACL injury early in 2017. Midfielder Alastair Richards (27 disposals, seven inside 50s) once again was superb for the Dragons and has certainly played three very strong games to start the season, while Liam Stocker (21 disposals, five inside 50s, two goals) was another impressive player for the home side. Another overager Kai Owens found 20 disposals (10 contested) and four clearances, in a role through the midfield.

Overager Mitch Podhajski was the Cannons’ best, with 28 disposals (17 contested), seven marks, four rebound 50s, three clearances and two goals. Podhajski moved well through the midfield throughout the contest, linking up well with the Cannons’ outside runners. Jake Riccardi (seven marks) marked well overhead in the attacking half of the ground, while it was Lachlan Johnson (two goals) who was most impressive in the opening quarter of the game, where the Cannons got out to a 10-point lead at quarter-time.


Northern Knights 12.3 (75) defeated by Oakleigh Chargers 13.22 (100)

TAC Cup football returned to Preston City Oval for the first time this season, but it was the away team, the Oakleigh Chargers who came out as winners in front of a good crowd on a fine sunny Sunday afternoon. The Knights took a nine-point lead at quarter-time, but it was all Chargers after that – with the Chargers booting eight goals to four in the following two quarters of the contest, eventually running out 25-point winners.

Braedyn Gillard and Tom McKenzie continued to put their hand up as two of the better Knights players. Playing through the midfield, McKenzie collected 26 disposals (13 contested), 10 clearances and six inside 50s – hitting targets throughout the day and he worked hard throughout the entire contest. Gillard (21 disposals, four rebound 50s) played well on the outside, helping the Knights get the ball forward. Up forward Patrik Della Rocca bagged four goals and Josh D’Intinosante booted three goals, while bottom-ager Lachlan Potter (22 disposals) also impressed.

Bottom-ager Noah Anderson was the standout for the Chargers, with 32 disposals, 10 inside 50s and two goals. His explosive running through the middle of the ground was mighty impressive. Fellow midfielder James Rowbottom (22 disposals, 10 clearances and eight inside 50s) was a dominant figure against the Knights midfielders, making for some really good battles in the centre of the ground. Possible Carlton father-son prospect Ben Silvagni booted 2.4 and clunked 10 marks, while small forward Daniel Scala kicked 3.4 from 17 disposals. Running defender Joseph Ayton-Delaney (16 disposals) and Charlie Whitehead (20 disposals) were also good in patches.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments