Green Ants march past Magpies in upset win

PINT caused the biggest upset in Round 8 of the Northern Territory Football League (NTFL) Men’s Premier League, defeating the third placed Palmerston by 47 points. In an impressive four-quarter performance, the Green Ants started strongly to race out to a four-goal lead at quarter time, and held that advantage by half-time. A dominant six goals to two after the main break sealed the win, with PINT saluting, 11.11 (77) to 3.12 (30).

Coming into the contest, PINT was eighth on the ladder with two wins from eight matches and only ahead of Tiwi Bombers. The victory put the Green Ants back into finals contention, by knocking down the Magpies to fourth spot on the table. They booted 4.4 to 0.4 in the opening quarter, and were able to kick away in the second half, but did the most damage in the final stanza with 4.0 to 1.4, making the most of their opportunities on goal.

Christopher Nield put up a best on ground performance with four snags for PINT, as Henry Tregoweth slotted two and was also among the better players on the ground. Tom Gaden, Brock Carter and Patrick Doyle impressed in the green and gold, while Ethan Penrith provided great run off half-back. For Palmerston, the usual suspects in Ashton Hams, Baxter Mensch and Eric Guthrie were among the best yet again, while Rhai-Arn Cox also found plenty of the ball.

In the earlier game at TIO Stadium, St Mary’s secured third spot on the table with a comfortable 48-point victory over Tiwi Bombers. The Saints slammed home 33 scoring shots to 15 during the 15.18 (108) to 9.6 (60) win. Fans witnessed a 10-goal final term with both sides slotting five majors apiece in the quarter. Brandyn Grenfell booted five goals on the day with Dylan Landt and Kieren Parnell also impressing. Dale Cunningham and John Tipiloura both kicked two goals for the Bombers.

Waratah maintained its spot at the top of the ladder after a 22-point victory over Darwin Buffaloes. It was far from easy for the Tahs’ who trailed at both the first (eight points) and second (15) breaks. A strong five goals to one third quarter got them back on top with a 10-point lead heading into the last quarter, then kicked away thanks to four goals to two in the final term. Four goals from both Darcy Hope and Jayden Magro set up the 17.8 (110) to 13.10 (88) victory as Scott Carlin and Ed Morris were standouts. Jarrod Stokes slotted four goals in defeat for the Buffaloes.

Southern District held firm in second spot thanks to a comfortable 47-point victory over Wanderers. The Crocs raced out to a 25-point lead at half-time and then kept the Eagles scoreless in the third quarter while adding 4.2 to seal the game. Wanderers rallied in the last term with a four goals to three quarter, but it was a case of too little, too late, going down, 13.11 (89) to 6.6 (42). Sam Dunstan kicked a match-high three goals for the winners, as Matthew Mazzini (two) and Frazer Driscoll were also among he best. Tyson Whyte (two goals) was the only multiple goalkicker for Wanderers, as Braedon McLean and Brodie Newman were named the best Eagles.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments