Three games. One Week. Not a challenge for Southport in QAFLW

DESPITE it being their third game within the space of a week, fatigue certainly did not seem to be an issue for Southport as they disposed of Wilston Grange to the tune of 79 points.

At the times the match did not reflect the canyon between the two sides on the ladder, but for the most part the Sharks showed their class and dominated the hapless Gorillas.

Southport did all the attacking early in the first term, and in particular Brittany Perry was very busy early. It did not even take three minutes for Perry to get what was her and Southport’s first major on the board as the Sharks started to build a handy buffer.

Perry had her second only minutes later and things were looking grim for the Gorillas already.

Rianna Schipp was next to get on the board for the Sharks, and Southport had a third goal within the first half of the quarter.

The defensive pressure from the Gorillas improved in the middle part of the term, but unfortunately for the visitors it did not stop the goal onslaught.

Perry had her third for the quarter at about the 14 minute mark and it was starting to look like she was going to be up for another bag.

Wilston Grange did manage a foray inside 50 late in the quarter, but could only managed a behind on the board for their efforts.

As the quarter time siren went, the margin was out to 25 points in favour of the hosts.

In what was a stark contrast to the first term, it was the Gorillas who got the much better start to the second term. Although they could not get any score on the board, they were getting repeat inside 50s and also denying the Sharks any potential scoring attempts.

Southport then managed to get a goal against the run of play through Tayla Gregory to extend the Sharks’ lead even further.

Brianna McFarlane got on the board two minutes later and the margin was out beyond six goals.  

Southport got their third of the term through a remarkable kick from Hannah Davies, and the Sharks were just pulling out the party tricks now.

Davies got her second within as many minutes, and it was almost a training drill at this point in the quarter for the home side, they were making it look that easy.

The Gorillas got a couple more inside 50s in the last few minutes of the quarter but could not get any score on the board, so as the teams headed to the sheds for half time, the Sharks were up by 50 points and very much in control.

The third quarter was again vastly different to the first two.

Both sides had plenty of inside 50s across the quarter, but scores were hard to come by. Unfortunately for the Gorillas, as much as the scoring had dried up for their opponents it had dried up for them too.

The only score for the quarter was a goal to Perry, but that did not come until nearly 18 minutes into the quarter.

This lack of scoring saw the margin extend as such out to 56 points at the final change.

The major negative for the Sharks in the third term was an injury to McFarlane, who went down heavy in a contest.

It did not take too long for the Sharks to heap more pain on the Gorillas in the final term, when Zali Cheffers kicked her first major for the year inside the first three minutes of the quarter.

Davies had her third for the game only minutes later, and it was certainly party time for the Sharks.

Jess Brock joined in on the party tricks demonstration, snapping her second around her body to extend the margin out beyond 70 points.

The Sharks continued to pepper the goals late, but could only manage a few more behinds, so ultimately ran out the game very comfortable winners.

The Sharks had plenty of players play extremely well, including Perry, Poppy Boltz and Madeleine Watt, while Keyshia Matenga, Mackenzie Findlay and Danielle Fenwick all played well for the Gorillas in what was a frustrating match for them that still had plenty of positives.

In other results:

  • University of Queensland continued on their winning ways, this time beating Aspley by 46 points.

Aspley kicked their one goal in the first term as the Red Lionesses ran away with the game.

Ashanti Jackson kicked three majors for UQ, while Kadie Fletcher and Kristen Tyquin kicked two majors each.

Meanwhile for Aspley, Charlotte Mullins, Lilu Hung and Maddison Kawa were among their best in a frustrating result for the Hornets.

After keeping Yeronga South Brisbane scoreless in the first half, Maroochydore went on to record a handy, 34 point win.

The Roos had six different goal kickers, with Mikayla Martin, Jya Epstein and Rachel Crack all playing well in the win.

Meanwhile for the Devils, Taylah Day, Courtney Browne and Lucy Bellinger all played well in what was another frustrating loss.

  • Although scores were tied at quarter time between Coorparoo and Bond Uni, the Bull sharks started build an ascendency in the second term and never looked back from there. They ultimately won by 34 points.

For the Bull sharks, Isabella Iverach booted two goals, while Caitlin Thorne, Imogen Evans and Mikayla Pauga all played well.

Meanwhile for Coorparoo, Jess Wuetschner booted a major in her return to the Kings, while Laura Blue and Renee Teys both had another great game.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments